Monday, May 3, 2010

Softball

So I started playing softball a couple years ago. I played a season in Provo and then switched to leagues in Orem and have probably played the last 4 seasons (spring and fall) there. Most of the guys on the team live in our neighborhood. Scott, Brad and Bracken live around the corner. Ryan is just down the street. Craig, Brian and newcomer Robert live a street over. Tom is Ryan's cousin and doesn't live too far away. Gary has been with us all the seasons I've been there and is a great guy. We have a couple of other guys that sub for us and they are all great.
Growing up, softball was slopitch and I think that the only time I ever saw it was tournaments on holidays (like over the Canada Day long weekend). There were even occasional sno-pitch tournaments in the winter with a flourescent ball. I never played and really didn't see any point.
Now, it is one of the highlights of my week. I look forward to that evening of the week. I was trying to decide why I enjoy it so much. There are probably several reasons. First would be the team. I play with a great bunch of guys. They are all decent players. They all enjoy winning and doing well. Nice thing is that it really doesn't matter whether we are winning or not. We all just have a good time. We have our up and down moments. First week, we got absolutely owned in our first game. Gave up 19 runs in one inning! We have seen loads of team start to fight with one another, guys that throw temper tantrums like 3 year olds, teams that just give up. Not our guys. We just play. And then the next game, we blow out the other team by 20 runs.
Yeah, Sweaty Mess (that's the name of our team), doesn't get all catty and stupid. We just play and have a good time.
Another thing I love about the team is that there are no set positions. No one goes and says, " You have to play this position". Instead, it changes whenever. We take turns sitting out. No drama, just fun.
I think another reason that I like softball is that I found a new thing/skill to learn. I started pitching last season. It is way harder than it looks to pitch. I love it. I love the challenge. I love throwing a pitch where someone whiffs on it. It can get a bit windy down at the fields. It is a pretty good challenge to figure out the wind and to get the ball across the plate and into the strike zone. There is also the chance that a ball will get pounded right back at you. I have almost been hit a couple times. I have managed to get out of the way and have even managed to snag a fair few. Quite the rush.
I just love being out and doing something. The fact that it happens to be with a great bunch of guys playing softball, is even better.
GO SWEATY MESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment