A few years ago, while I was still teaching in Canada, I decided to make a special present for Heidi. I have made her homemade gifts in the past and it usually drives her nuts because I spend so much time on them, I run out of time to get her something practical or that she really needed or wanted. That is not to say that she hasn't appreciated my efforts but still. It i s probably a desire to have me listen to what she wants.
But I digress....
I decided that it would be great to have a family picture that could be updated frequently. I struck on the idea of a family tree. I envisioned a magical and elderly oak, beautiful and majestic and strong.
I got a large piece of mat board (36x24) and asked Michelle, a student of mine who was a very talented artist, to draw me one. I had her draw an ancient looking tree that had one set of roots and one main trunk but then had it branch out into two trees. One for my family and one for Heidi's family. To say that it turned out amazingly would be the understatement of the year. IT WAS AWESOME.
I then cut holes in the tree for a full family photo of each side of the family and then a smaller spot for each individual family member and their own families. It was my hope to continually update these photos. To help do this, I put photo corners on the backside of the mat, so that photos could easily be interchanged.
The one part that I really loved about this was our family photo in the middle of the trunk and then the kids' photos in the roots.
I just want to have the reminder of a strong family tree to look at. I am proud of my family and what we are. I look forward to our tree continuing to branch out.
And as a preview of things to come soon, I have decided to write about my roots that I have been expanding in my family tree. I'll be talking about a different ancestor each week (hopefully). Stay tuned.
I'm looking forward to seeing the ancestral commentary. Depending on the moment, any number of my (our) family is on my mind at some point during the day. I still catch myself almost dialing a long disconnected number to share a tidbit with someone that is gone. Trippy.
ReplyDelete