On top of this "tradition", I like making pie. My mom and dad both were pretty good at making pie as was my maternal grandmother. There was something strangely artistic about a pie. Grandma Binnie's Blushing Peach pie is still by far, my favorite looking, smelling and tasting pie. It was truly a thing of beauty. It is also one that I have continued to make the most frequently when I am in the mood to make a pie. It is pretty simple to make. I used to make it for people in France my mission to give to people. Most people were blown away that I could make pie and it was something that they didn't commonly have.
Like i said it is pretty easy to make. Here is the recipe and some more images of the process along the way.
GRANDMA BINNIE'S BLUSHING PEACH PIE
Sugar Crumble Topping
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup water
2 cups sliced peaches
one pie shell
Cut butter into flour, sugar and nutmeg until it's crumbly. Sprinkle half the mixture on the bottom of the pie shell. Arrange peaches over the top. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup of water. Top with the remaining crumbs. Bake at 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
I made a few other pies this year. I made a traditional French Canadian meat pie called Tourtiere (pronounced Tort-yair). It is basically a very rich meat pie made with ground pork and ground beef.
I also made a Cherry Crumble Pie (mostly because I didn't have any more pie crust.
I also made a couple of quiche. To make things interesting, I used cheddar and gouda cheeses Yum!
Ahhhh pies. One of my favorite things to make.
I really love making Grandma's Blushing Peach Pie also, and did the same thing on my mission. I've now found the PERFECT thing to add to the pie, to take it over the top. Fresh or frozen raspberries! (or blueberries). The tartness of the raspberries adds a little contrasting zing to the super sweetness. AWESOME!!! I call it Blushing Peach Melba Pie, as I used to get a killer yogurt in Switzerland that was Peach Melba (Peach Raspberry).
ReplyDelete